De-stressing and Relaxation Techniques from Lauren

 Stress can be really hard to deal with, especially during times when we have online school, worry about COVID-19 and it feels like nothing is normal. It’s also difficult to find ways to manage this stress that consistently works for you and doesn’t take up too much time. During online school and just being home, I have found a few methods that have really helped me calm down and relax when I’m feeling stressed. One of the easiest and most helpful things that works for me is using deep, controlled breathing. I like to use box breathing, which is where you inhale for 4 seconds, hold that breath for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds, and then keep your lungs empty for 4 seconds and you keep repeating for as long as you need. I find it really helpful to use this and close my eyes and think about whatever stressing me out. I try to use positive affirmations and be mindful of what’s going on. For example, if you have a ton of homework to do and you are stressing out while doing it, close your eyes and take deep breaths. Think about how you can manage it all, tell yourself it will be okay in the end and you can do it and be mindful of why you feel this stress. This of course might not work for everyone and that’s totally okay! It takes some trial and error to find the de-stressing technique that works best for you. I personally really like using this method because even though yoga and meditation can be a great reliever, I’ve found it hard to commit to those everyday. For me, simply using breathing and mindfulness is so easy and quick and can be used whenever and wherever. I hope that using these tips might bring a little bit of relaxation and comfort to you!



image from psychologytoday.com


Lauren            


Comments