The Journal of Emily - Gilderoy Lockhart

The Journal of Emily

A Second Year Ravenclaw


I can’t believe that Gilderoy Lockhart is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher! Like everyone else, I find him absolutely dreamy, but not only because of his incredibly enchanting smile, he is such an intelligent wizard that I can’t help but adore him. I want to learn every spell that he had to cast in order to defeat all of those beasts. Hermione and I were the only two witches to ace the first exam that he gave us, which gives the both of us a leg up in his class and his thoughts, hopefully. 

I saw that Ginny Weasley is a first year. I must say, that family seems to never end. I heard Professor McGonagall call out her name in the sorting ceremony, and of course she was placed in Gryffindor with the rest of her family. The only reason I mention her is because I ran into her by accident on my way to defense against the dark arts and she asked for directions to charms class. I led her to charms class, despite the fact that I would be late to my class. We got to talking, I asked how Ron was doing and I guess she felt comfortable around me to express some of her concerns with Harry Potter, mostly she worried that he would get hurt this year, or He-who-shall-not-be-named will try to kill him again. I assured that Dumbledore and all of the other professors will do everything to make sure that Harry and everyone else will be safe in the school. I knew that was true, but I just hoped that nothing would happen.

On another note, just as things here in Hogwarts were getting settled in for the school year, something came up. I was walking back to the Ravenclaw common room with some other students and saw a horrific sight. Mr. Filch’s cat was hanging, like a statue, from a torch bracket. As I tried to get a better view I saw something written on the wall behind Mrs. Norris, though all of the students were whisked away as quickly as possible, so I didn’t get to read it, but standing in the middle of the hall, was Harry, Ron and Hermione. I don’t think that Hermione would have done anything, but Harry and Ron tend to get into trouble, so I wouldn’t have been surprised if they had done something to Mrs. Norris because of Mr. Filch. But, despite their gravitation towards trouble, I don’t think any averagely talented second year could have done that to Mrs. Norris, it’s simply unspeakable. I did notice something odd about the writing on the walls that bothered me though: it was written in a crimson colored ink, which could only mean one thing, the writing was in blood. 

The school is still buzzing about Mrs. Norris and the writing on the wall, some people have written home in hopes that their parents will withdraw them from the school immediately. That kind of reaction seems a bit premature to me, but to each their own. I do worry that Muggle-born students are in danger though because Slytherin has a bad reputation for hating people that aren’t “pure-bloods”.

Besides the Mrs. Norris situation, things have gotten confusing at Hogwarts, like the bludger that almost killed Harry Potter at the Quidditch game. Some people seem to think the He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is attacking him from beyond the grave, while some of his closer friends believe that Professor Snape is out to get him after his “failed attempt” at last year’s game, according to Hermione. I don’t really know which to believe; I don’t want to believe that Professor Snape is harming a student, but it’s better than believing that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is coming back.


-Emily




Comments