Make Your Own Chapstick!



Is making chapstick a hobby? Well...maybe not. But I have been doing it consistently for 10 years(ikr?) and it has been a segway into making more of my own products home, so close enough anyways:)


A few things before we start(I will try not to get too mommy blog on you guys)

DO NOT DO THIS RECIPE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ANY OF THE INGREDIENTS

Ok now that the disclaimer is out of the way, there are many benefits to making your own products.

  1. It’s cheaper over time. This is what I paid for each product 

Coconut oil 10$   Beeswax Block 5$   Essential Oil 10$ = 25$ + I bought 100 tubes for 15$ because I was selling chapstick

This may seem costly upfront, however overtime it is more manageable. Let’s compare to Burt's Bees because they are an organic brand.

Burt’s Bees costs approx: 3$-4$ so that is about 7 tubes per 25$ upfront cost of making your own.

I have made 80 tubes of chapstick so far and I still have about half of my products left.

so it is very cost effective.

  1. Lots of people don’t know this but petroleum jelly doesn’t moisturize your lips it just holds moisture in. The oil and wax in this recipe work together to repair cracked lips and hold in moisture.

  2. You reduce waste by refilling your old chapstick containers


Recipe

2 tbs. Beeswax( I shave small pieces off a 5 pound block I bought at the farmers market)

3 tbs. Coconut Oil

10-15 Drops Essential Oil( I recommend peppermint oil)


Directions
  1. Put Beeswax and Coconut oil in a measuring cup.

  2. Make a double boiler by heating water(not boiling) in a saucepan. Or heat the measuring cup in a microwave. If you choose double boiler method you can either hang the measuring cup by the handle or use a bowl that fits in the pan( see picture below)




3. Mix until the wax and oil are melted( they should look like olive oil, yellow consistent liquid)

4. Add essential oil when fully melted. 

5. Pour liquid into your containers and let cool fully. It should be cream colored and fully cool to the touch. Enjoy moisturized lips :-{l}


Lillia                    



Comments